****THE COMPLEGALITARIAN BLOG HAS REOPENED FOR BUSINESS
AT A NEW LOCATION WITH SOME NEW RULES.****

Adj. Pertaining to complementarianism and egalitarianism.

***Working to be a safe place for all sides to share.***


___________________________________________________

Friday, January 11, 2008

Huckabee and submission

Last night there was a debate for the Republican candidates for President of the U.S. Mike Huckabee was asked a question about submission:

Huckabee was put on the defensive last night about his religion when one of the moderators asked him about his signature on a 1998 ad in The New York Times, placed by the Southern Baptist Convention, that a wife should be "submissive" to her husband.

Huckabee - who frequently uses his signature humor to defuse testy questions - began his reply with a quip.

"Everybody says religion is off limits, except that they always ask me the religious question," said Huckabee, a Baptist minister. "If anybody knows my wife, I don't think they for one minute think that she's going to just sit by and let me do whatever I want to. That would be an absolute total misunderstanding of Janet Huckabee."

The former governor went on to say that the quote was taken out of context and that the Bible says both a wife and husband should be submissive to each other and to God, each giving 100 percent to the marriage. "I'm not the least bit ashamed of my faith or the doctrines of it. I don't try to impose that as a governor and I wouldn't impose it as a president," Huckabee said, drawing applause from the audience.